Blogger Template by Blogcrowds.

Properly Attired

Saturday, December 4, 2010
Living in this polyglot state often brings interesting clashes of cultures.  Today, people from around the world are drawn to the same activities that pull them from their traditional lives.  Last Thursday was National Day here in the Emirates where the young nation recognized thirty-nine years of existence.  Since it was a state holiday, it provided a good opportunity to observe people relaxing and having fun.

While driving north to Ras Al Khaimah, I observed a "pick-up" cricket game in a large empty lot beside the freeway.  Often on Fridays or on public holidays, it is possible to witness Indians and Pakistanis enthusiastically playing their favorite sport.  It was interesting to note that several of the players were wearing izaars, which are a skirt-like garments that extend well below the knees.  I did not stop to watch the game but I imagined the humorous spectacle of seeing these players running at top speed in these restrictive outfits.

After having a good flight up the base of the Musandam peninsula to Oman, I turned onto the ramp from the runway at Jazirah Aviation.  In the usually empty parking area were several of the same Ukranian microlight that I was taxiing.  In the FBO, I was informed that these were private aircraft whose owners were participating in a club flight around the Emirates.  They did this every year on National Day after making special arrangements with the local civil aviation authority.  All of the participants were local Emirati dressed in traditional dishdashas (ankle-length shirt dresses) with sandals.  This attire would definitely make flying challenging.  At least these particular planes are equipped with yokes for directing the ailerons and elevator.  I imagine that piloting a plane with a control stick would be virtually impossible in such an outfit.

On the way home, I stopped by a Starbucks to pick up a quarter kilo of their choice coffee beans.  At the check-out, I was behind a local couple with cute baby girl in a stroller.  The little one was talking up a storm to me in that mysterious language that infants are so adept at speaking.  Being a sucker for babies, I smiled and waived to the little one who continued with her soliloquy.  At first, I received a stern look from her folks, who were obviously not happy at having their little darling talking to an infidel.  However, the love of parenthood overcame suspicion and both broke into smiles.  Since they were traditionally dressed, I could see father's grin but I could only see mother's smiling eyes behind her burka.  At this point, my inappropriate attire was overlooked.


It is interesting to see that as humans we all enjoy the same things in life, including sport, club activities, and family.  The fact that we carry our cultures with us does not hamper our passion or enjoyment.  Our attire may be inconvenient but is never improper.

0 comments:

Post a Comment