Blogger Template by Blogcrowds.

A Proper Christmas Lunch

Saturday, December 25, 2010
MERRY CHRISTMAS from DUBAI!


Today, I feel a little like the Jewish toy merchant who celebrated a successful retail season by taking the family to Antigua while the Christians had their Christmas in the cold.  This Christmas morning dawned brightly in Dubai to a cool 19 degrees C. (66 degrees F.).  I watched the world news with a cup of coffee to learn of record chill and snow in Europe and North America.  Air travel was suspended in many locations and snow was anticipated as far south as Atlanta, Georgia.  Brrrrr!

After a good swim under the bright Arabian sun, I dressed and walked the half kilometer from my flat to the Irish Village Pub in the Aviation Club.  The temperature had warmed to 26 degrees C. (79 degrees F.) and it was perfect for a meal in the garden.  For a reasonable sum, the pub was hosting a Christmas buffet lunch with all the trimmings.  Fortunately, I had not eaten anything before that time for it was truly a feast.  My first plate held turkey with cranberry sauce, roast beef with horseradish, mashed potatoes with gravy, and rotini pasta with meatballs and sauce.  The second plate featured British dishes, including steak-and-Guiness pie, bangers and mash, brussel sprouts, cauliflower with cheese, and julienne carrots.  Had I been twenty years younger, I could have held out for a third plate but I had to give in and bravely move onto the desserts.  I managed to savor Christmas pudding topped with clotted cream, a slice of Yule log pastrie, and a mincemeat tart.  Whew!  That was what I called a proper Christmas lunch.

Fortunately, I do not frequently succumb to such bouts of gluttony, but it truly made the day.  Needless to say, the walk home seemed like ten kilometers but it served as a non-alcoholic digestif.  The holiday in this Islamic land became memorable for the meal.

May you all enjoy similar repasts with family, friends, and football.  It seems that the world now has a little hope after coming out of a very rough time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment