Blogger Template by Blogcrowds.

An Out-of-Glider Experience

Friday, October 15, 2010
Today did not start well as I awoke to a splitting sinus headache.  I put this behind me after taking a Panadol Sinus (Australian Tylenol) and swimming for a kilometer.  I was able to face the day with a clear head and the hope of good things, since it was my day off, Friday.  (Remember that this is the Sunday of Islamic countries.)

It turned out to be a magnificent day with respect to the weather.  The sky was clear blue and clouds were forming.  This was in stark contrast to our usual dust-filled vistas.  The last time that I savored such a day was last August while having an outdoor lunch in Hampshire in southern England during a business trip.

After my traditional Friday breakfast of toasted waffles, I drove to Ras Al Khaimah to go flying.  If I had been flying a glider, I would not be writing this  entry, because I would still be up in the sky.  I flew the little Ukranian microlight that I usually fly, which is very lightweight but a lousy glider.  The thermals were everywhere.  I saw six dust-devils (visible thermals) which was unprecedented for me.  There were cumulus clouds forming all across the sky that was also rare in the Emirates.


It turned out to be a great day for the beach.  The camels were enjoying the waters of the Gulf as I flew over them.  Some were walking through the mangroves and apparently grazing.  This was new to me.  The flamingos were present in great numbers in the flats as they showed off their pink and white wings that were trimmed with black.

I flew north toward the Omani border before turning around to return to the airport.  The wind had shifted to the northwest and I was feeling lift off the sand dunes along the shoreline.






I was having much more fun than the folks in the expensive homes along the dunes.

Maybe someday the sheiks will allow gliders that silently ply the sky on currents of air, but until then I am thankful for these rare clear days in the Arabian desert when it is possible to enjoy an out-of-glider experience in a little microlight aircraft in Allah's airspace.

This entry will be most appreciated by my fellow pilots.  I thank you groundlings for sharing the joy of my flight.

0 comments:

Post a Comment